Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The Power of Working Mommy Guilt

When we got to daycare this morning, I realized I forgot to grab his "daycare blankie" out of the dryer for the 3rd day in a row. (Yes - stuff stays in my dryer for three days in a row, sometimes longer.) Things have been really crazy in the evenings so I keep forgetting. He loves this blankie and we keep it in his crib at daycare. We have a different blankie for home. This one is minky on one side and silky around the edges and across the back. My mom's cousin Sandy embroidered it with his name and birthdate when he was born. Mrs C, his daycare teacher, says no biggie we have one with a silky edge he can use, but yeah, he likes to snuggle his the best. ::insert stab to heart here::

I got in the car feeling very heavy. About a mile from my office I couldn't take the additional guilt on top of my usual self-inflicted daily dose. I turned around and went 9 miles back home, got the blankie out of the dryer, passed an excited Kona thinking I was home to play with him (so tack on some pet parent guilt), went all the way back to daycare, and dropped off said blankie without baby boy catching a glimpse of me because I knew he would just cry.

Blankie had nothing to say for itself the whole way. It just sat there, taunting me.

2 comments:

Brandy said...

I think the blanket looks ashamed of itself for not helping remind you to grab it. It's a naughty naughty blanket and you shouldn't feel guilty it's the blanket not you!

The Lunoff Adventures said...

I drove to San Marcos once (Nana's house) to get Hannah's "b" that she left there. It was 10 PM. I couldn't take the guilt for leaving her "b" that she sleeps with and asks for every night. Damn mommy guilt.